Thursday, March 29, 2012

Woodworking

So, I start woodworking as a hobby a little less than a year ago, kind of on a whim.  I had never done any woodworking before but a friend of mine had a table saw for sale.  I bought it and away I went.  Since then I've converted my garage into a fully (mostly) equipped wood shop.  I say mostly because I still need to get a lathe.   I should note that I did take "Woods 1" in high school but the only thing I remember from that is to not cut your fingers off with the radial arm saw. 

Woodworking is in my blood.  My grandfather has been a carpenter and a woodworker for his entire life. And my father is the type of guy that can make or fix ANYTHING.  And I really do mean anything.  I've learned a lot from both of these men and I know what I have been taught is just a fraction of what they know. 

Anyway I decided to start Woodworking.  I watched a few Youtube videos on things that I wanted to do, or a magazine article here and there, but for the most part I just kind of make it up as I go. Though the first couple things that I built I did from plans in magazines.  They helped guide me quite a bit and taught me some helpful things as well.  I've decided that I am going to post the things I make on here, because why the hell not.  I have to say I am kind of self-centered when it comes to wood working.  Self-centered in the way that I want to make what I want to make.  I find it to be a great creative outlet and in that sense I don't want to work inside of someone else' box, I do that for 40 hours a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment