Thursday, June 23, 2011

M&N Sandwich

It has been WAY to long since I have written one of these and I am going to try to catch up when I have time as I have several restaurants to write about. This isn't a breakfast place, but in my opinion a hidden gem in the center of Lincoln.

Today a co-worker and I went to M&N Sandwich at 27th and Randolph.  M&N is tucked in between a series of shops on the Northeast corner of the intersection and is very unassuming from the outside.  If you drive there you will need to park in the alley in the back.  I have eaten here several times over the past couple years and I keep going back for one simple reason: it is really good.

Inside is no frills.  A few tables and chairs, a tv in the corner, a menu board with pictures, and a counter to order at.  Some people liken the gentleman behind the counter to the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld.  He is a little gruff, but makes a hell of a sandwich.  A little advise: look at the pictures and know what you want to order when you get to the counter. 

Today I had the double Italian combo.  A sandwich made of a hearty Italian roll, Italian beef, pastrami, and topped with Swiss cheese.  The sandwich comes three ways: light, medium, or juicy.  I usually go with medium, meaning the sandwich is dipped in au jus.  Its juicy but you can still pick it up.  If you go "juicy" you will have juice running down your elbows when you eat it, and if you order "light" you will probably get a very stern look from the owner.

Last summer in Chicago I went to Al's Beef to have an Italian Beef sandwich.  I had seen Al's Beef shown all over the travel shows on TV as having an amazing sandwich, and they do... but M&N blows them out of the water every day of the week.  Abby doesn't care for M&N but I think she is flat out crazy... maybe some of the "charm" is lost on her.  Regardless I love the place.  Be prepared to wait though, depending on when you show up.  It is a one man show and he makes every order individually.  It takes a little time but trust me it is worth it. 


One other thing I think I am going to do with this blog is post movie recommendations.  The people that know me know that I watch a ton of movies; and being so, I watch a lot of movies that other people never see.  So, for my first recommendation is the movie Dogtooth.  This is a Oscar nominated Greek movie about a family that lives secluded from the rest of society.  The movie is a little strange but I found it very engaging; I was always trying to figure out what exactly is going on.  Go get a sandwich and watch a movie, hopefully neither will disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment