Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cupcakes in my breakfast?

So lately there have been a few specialty cupcake stores pop up around the city.  So far I have tried three of them: PJ's Baby Cakes, Cupcakes & More, and Serendipities Cupcakes.  I figured I might as well blog about them because I think I have eaten at every breakfast establishment that this city has to offer.

I do believe that PJ's was the first in the city.  They are located on North 48th, just south of Adams.  This little store offers quite a large variety of cupcakes and they offer new experiments every Tuesday.  To me, their cakes are a little small, but they do have some larger "specialty" cupcakes.  I've tried probably a dozen different types with my favorite being the "Madison".  The Madison is their take on the classic Hostess chocolate cupcake with the white squiggle on the top.  The downside to the Madison is it is only available on Thursdays.  The other downside is the hours that PJ's is open.  I think they have different hours on every day of the week.

Next is Cupcakes & More located at 56th and Old Cheney.  I've only tried one cupcake from this place, their "signature", which is a chocolate cake with white and chocolate frosting.  The nice thing about Cupcakes & More is that they offer 3 different sizes of cupcakes, ranging from $1 to $3.  I of coarse go the largest one. If you like a lot of frosting this is the place for you.  Their largest size cakes have an ample amount of frosting on top, plus they are filled with frosting.  A bit of an overload for me but some people are into that sort of thing.  I try not to judge.  I need to go back and try a few more of their offerings.  They also sell "cake pops" which I guess is some new trendy cake thing on a stick. (shrugs).

The newest cupcake on the block is Serendipities Cupcakes at 27th and Superior.  Abby and I were greeted with "I've been waiting all day for to come in" by a really nice woman behind the counter.  I took home a half dozen different kinds.  When I was handed the container I was surprised by the weight of the cupcakes.  These were different than the other two stores, more dense.  My favorite was the carrot cake, because I love carrot cake.  Now, my mother makes an amazing carrot cake, but at the risk of getting myself in trouble, Mom's carrot cake is now the second best I've ever had.  Serendipities is the first. 
The other one that I really liked was the 'Smores.  The top of the cake was almost like a brownie, and the "stump" was more of a dense chocolate cake topped with marshmellow-y frosting and a piece of Hersey's chocolate. Though when I pulled the piece of chocolate out of the frosting it was only a half piece, but I'm just being picky.

Out of these three Serendipities is my favorite, but all of them are very good.
I think there are couple other places that I need to try, and I'm sure one or two have opened while I've been writing this.


Additionally, maybe I should rename this blog.  "Eating Lincoln"? "Food Mike Eats"?  "Things I Eat and Then Write About"?  That one seems a little lengthy.  I'm open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment